First I have to make sure I have the right languages checked and loaded in my system preferences.

Then when I want to type in Japanese I choose one of my Japanese character palettes

Then I use my keyboard

and phonetically(a=a) type in a sentence. If there is a chinese character I type in the pronounciation and then the computer gives me a choice of which to pick.
So for example Clark was talking in his sleep and said
子供の恐竜が良い!
..and this is how I picked the kanji for dinosaur.

That is how I type in Japanese!
2 comments:
Yay Nicole! So, just to clarify, if I had the word konichiwa in my head (and didn't speak english) then the characters on the keyboard would correspond to each phoneme in the word and not necessarily be the characters that the word will show up as later? This seems like it would be slow. And now the whole world knows my ignorance : )
You are correct. I type out the phonemes, the hiragana characters(phonetic alphabet) show up automatically, and for the most part the kanji(chinese characters) do too, but if it is a different one you want you need to change it. It gets faster as you get used to it.
Post a Comment