Monday, November 30, 2009

Cooking failure day

After a very successful Thanksgiving last Monday, this Monday has been useful in humbling me. Here's what I tried

Ketchup : Have you ever read the list of ingredients in Heinz??? It's gross. I thought I'd make my own. I think I figured out how to burn it in a crock pot. How that happened, I don't know, but all I can say is NASTY.

Honey Dijon Dressing : 007's favorite, he's been craving salad and I wanted it for dinner tonight too. I tried to throw one together real quick without doing extensive research like last time...which was decent. This time, the lack of prep showed....YUCK. 007 is afraid to even taste it.

Ok, so only two things, but two failures in one day, plus very sad stuffing left overs makes me question the desire I have to make my own candied fruit to make an authentic Stollen.

I'm so glad my boys were fun little nuts today. BK LOVES being upside down as much as possible, and Edamame made up his own 'video game' which consisted of smacking pens against a table really loud and winning fish for it. Good imaginations from them. Hurray!

2 comments:

Amy said...

This is really late, but if you don't want to deal with candied orange peel, Andrew's mom's recipe call for brandy, but since I came into the family, she's been using orange juice instead and it gives it a really nice citrusy flavor. If you want, I'll ask her for the recipe when she gets back from Antarctica.

soybeanlover said...

The Stollen was a horrible failure too. The orange peel turned out really good, the cake did not.

Is she really in Antarctica?