Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Welcome to Yokohamaaaaaaa!

Today's homework I chose to introduce you to my hometown. I moved far too much as a child to have a real home town, and since the longest I've ever lived in one place is HERE, you can be introduced to here instead.

We live in Zama, but I'll introduce you to the greater Yokohama area. My aunt is coming out this spring with my mother, so this is good practice. Truthfully you could spend a whole week just here, without heading into Tokyo at all.

I'd start us out on a 9am train headed for Yokohama. From there we'd head to China town...the biggest outside of China(bigger than SF), take in the sights and have an early lunch. From there we'd walk to Yamashita Park(which is right on the water) and hop on a water taxi/tour for 90 min. From there I'd take you all to the Red Brick Building(the old immigration bldg), the giant Ferris Wheel, the Nihonmaru. I think from there we'd hop on a train to Shin-Yokohama to try the Ramen Museum. It isn't big, but the atmosphere is like 1950's Japan and the ramen is delicious(and there are quite a few varieties). There are a lot of restaurants around Yokohama station to eat treats at.

I know it is short and sweet, but hey, it's after 10 and I still get up a handful of times in the middle of the night...Add to this whole list a bunch of museums, Temples, Aquariums, parks, etc, and there is a lot to do here. Even with kids!

3 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

This sounds like an awesome place to visit!

Luna said...

Sounds like a nice trip. I bet the Ramen museum is fun to visit!

La Yen said...

Man, I really want to visit Japan now! W lived in Kobe and Hiroshima as a teenager, and absolutely loved it. I hope we get to travel there some day!