Ok, I'll give this a try...if the boys cooperate ha ha. I'll twist it a bit for a better fit.
How has travel changed you?:
Let me start off by saying FATE has spoiled me. I've been blessed enough to live abroad twice in my life, in two very different places. I now know that traveling is not the way to go at all. I like to visit places, but the real way to see a place is to live there. Most of us don't have that luxury, but if you have the time go off the beaten path and interact with the locals. Stay with friends that live there, etc. and you'll see what life is REALLY like. All of this still doesn't say how it's changed me, but I'm not sure how it has. I've been going places and flying since I was a babe. I can tell you what I KNOW about the world though from the different parts I've seen. No place is the best, the greatest, the strongest, the loveliest, etc. It all is in the eye of the beholder, and if you choose to, you can be that beholder. Every culture has good and bad, every country has its wealth and dearth(not just monetary). I know I like to take in a place slowly, make friends with people, and see the non-touristy side of things. I know I also like visitors, so if you feel the need to take Japan in at a leisurely pace, and see things off the beaten trail, we're the place to go. Anyone out there that we can visit?
4 comments:
You are the #1 reason I am pushing for our next duty station to be in Japan, you know! Want to come visit Camp Tama?
I'd totally visit! Too bad it wasn't Zama, but Yokota is close enough. Beggars can't be choosers. There is a Costco the next city over. When do you find out?
You are so lucky to have actually lived abroad! I love your comment that no place is the best, etc. It's humbling to realize that, but it opens us up to great experiences.
I agree that you are really lucky--I love to really get to know a place (and when you only have a couple days, I find that walking as much as possible helps, too.), but haven't had the chance to live abroad yet. We're still hoping for it. . .
And you are always welcome to come visit us! We love having company, and even have some fun/beautiful places to visit around here.
Post a Comment