Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Nafukin

Edamame is in Kindergarden from 9am to 2 pm. As you expect, no kid can be expected to go that long without eating, so he gets to eat lunch there. Three days a week it is school lunch, two days you are allowed to bring lunch from home, but five days a week you need to bring your lunch set. This consists of a cup, a fork, a spoon, chopsticks(usually all three in a box set together), and a napkin for a mini tablecloth. They say nafukin(ナフキン) because napkin(ナプキン) is the sanitary napkin kind. Go figure, I like the distinction. Well, I being cheap and having delusions of creativity have started making him some napkins. I made two of the above ones tonight. I think I'll try to have two or three for each major season or holiday. That does mean I'll have to pick up some Thanksgiving and Easter fabric though. Hmm. They are super easy and it makes him smile. So yeah, I just wanted to be a show off, thanks for humoring me.

1 comment:

Eunice said...

Is it true that there are no trashcans in the school lunch room, that everyone has to bring their trash home? Some of my Boston students visited Japan and they said that's how it was. I think it's a brilliant idea.